Aspiring students and their families can explore everything campus life has to offer at the University of Melbourne Open Day on Sunday 20 August, discovering the education, social life and future opportunities which come with studying at Australia’s leading university.
Hundreds of activities across the Parkville and Southbank campuses, including workshops, discussion panels and guided tours will give prospective students a sense of student life at the University.
At the heart of the Parkville campus, the new Student Precinct and amphitheatre – an outdoor performance and social space allowing people to come together, connect, and feel a part of the University community – will host many of the day’s events.
University Vice-Chancellor Professor Duncan Maskell said the University community was excited to welcome students and families to Open Day.
"We welcome everyone to our campus on Open Day. It's a fantastic opportunity to learn about the world-class education on offer and experience the vibrant atmosphere, thriving cultural life, and discover all the opportunities that await you, at the University of Melbourne.” Professor Maskell said.
Some of the activities include:
- Visit the intersection of art and science at Science Gallery Melbourne’s Dark Matters exhibition
- Take a timber and taste woodworking workshop, or ignite your creativity with the unbroken lines sketching workshop
- Hear from Nobel Laureate Professor Peter Doherty and his advice for aspiring scientists
- Join law academics for a sample lecture based on the Voice to Parliament referendum, and discover Indigenous languages from around Australia with the 50 Words Project
- Join a panel of Bachelor of Commerce students to hear how commerce student societies and clubs will help build your network
- Discover how a bumblebee flies, how a quantum computer works, and how to build a wind turbine with a physics demonstration
- Visit the Telstra Creator Space, showcasing student work, designs and prototypes being brought to life with industry-grade equipment, and pick up a map from the Old Engineering Building to take a tour through our engineering and IT labs.
Across the Student Precinct, roving performances and regular tours by Union House Student Theatre will take visitors through theatre spaces in the new Arts and Cultural Building, which have been designed to unleash the creative, artistic and musical talents of our student community.
Also in the precinct, student kitchen cooking classes will share delicious plant-based alternatives and healthy eating, and the Rowden White Library’s eclectic collection of books, graphic novels, magazines, board games and social spaces will provide a great spot to relax.
The University of Melbourne Student Union radio station, Radio Fodder, will broadcast live on the ground. Melbourne University Sporting Club will show off the incredible talent and passion of our student sporting clubs.
Aspiring students will share their Open Day experiences on Instagram reels and TikTok with the #UniMelbOpenDay hashtag and enter the running to win great prizes.
Accommodation options for future students, support programs, international exchange learning opportunities, student union clubs and societies will all be on show at the Student Experience Accommodation Hub.
Visitors should register and explore the full program of events to make the most of the day.